Wednesday, November 21, 2007

De Waflebakkers All Natural Flaxseed Apple Cinnamon Waffles

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



For my first review, I take a look at breakfast in a box. Yes, it's better to make breakfast from scratch, especially if you go to mom's house. Breakfast is an essential part of my day, or at least the weekends when I stay away from the whey protein drinks and eat something hearty.

I went shopping at Wal-Mart and... yes, I know Wal-Mart is the satan of department stores, but sometimes convenience is there and you take it. I did this time and I wanted to get some frozen waffles. Here was a brand I had never seen before, De Wafelbakkers, who promote themselves as being all natural, and offering something healhier than a regular box of Eggo's. There were a number of options but since I like apple cinnamon waffles, I chose to buy it. A box of waffles has 8 waffles, and at a dollar more than a box of 10 Eggo waffles, I had hoped that it would be good for the value. Upon opening them, I immediately noticed the size of the waffles. Eggo waffles are small to begin with, but these were smaller than my palm. I had the option of warming them up with an oven or toaster, and I went for the toaster. I like my waffles with butter and syrup, so I put a bit of each on and... the flavor from these waffles are great. Eggo's apple and cinnamon variety barely has a hint of anything compared to DeWafelbakkers, and even after being frozen, it had the same texture of a Belgian waffle. Well, a lo-fi Belgian waffle, but still. I would have ripped open another bag (each box contains four bags of 2 waffles)) but I figured it would be best to wait for another time.

Upon looking at the box, I noticed the company was based in Arkansas, so perhaps Wal-Mart is trying to help out a company in their home state.

I would definitely buy these waffles again, and while I would prefer to buy them outside of Wal-Mart, it might be worth going into every once in awhile for these.

Website: De Wafelbakkers

No comments: