Friday, August 13, 2010

Lunch @ The Grilled Cheese Grill, Portland, Oregon



The Grilled Cheese Grill
1027 NE Alberta Ave. (at the Corner of Alberta & 11th) (directions)
Portland OR 97211
(503) 206-8959
Twitter: @GrildChzGrill
August 10, 2010

With the vast amount of food carts in Portland, it's hard if not close-to-impossible to pick just one to go to. But The Grilled Cheese Grill was one I've wanted to visit for a long time, not only to try one of their grilled cheese sandwiches, but their beastly Cheesus Burger, which is a big 1/3 pound hamburger patty placed in not buns, but two grilled cheese sandwiches. Boom, indeed.

Well, I didn't want to try it on my first visit, I figured one day I will. Instead, I arrived at the food cart and I had heard about the old school bus one had the option of eating in. It was something straight out of Berkeley or The Partridge Family, but since I was with my family (and on this trip with my mom), we chose to eat in the "normal" sitting area, with a number of convenient benches.


I decided to go for a sandwich they call The Southsider, which is "artichokes, Sundried Tomato, Mushrooms and Mozzarella on Grilled Sourdough.". I had the option of having salami, but I actually wanted to try this in order to add a bit of avocado (guacamole), and the idea of mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, and artichokes sounded very good to me. It wasn't until I returned home a day later did I realize it was essentially a vegetarian sandwich. I will say this, it was very good, I could taste everything and everything was good. It was nicely balanced, the mozzarella cheese was nice and chewy, just the right amount of salt. I did add some hot sauce to compliment it but it really didn't need it (although it was great with it). It wasn't too filling at all, although those with light appetites might disagree. I could've had two of these Southsider's, but it means I'm making room for next time.

I had wanted to take a T-shirt home, but they did not at the time have one available in my size. Since I've been doing a lot of stationary bike and losing a bit of weight, I should have said "I will buy this and when I'm able to fit in it, I'll come back". Nonetheless, the service was good and friendly. One of the cooks was a punk rock lady of sorts with tattoos and a partially shaved head, so if you're scared of someone who may look like that, you may want to go elsewhere. However, The Grilled Cheese Grill is in a funky part of Portland to begin with, lots of diversity in people and businesses, and it is known as an "arts community" so you may feel right in. Why not celebrate that with a great sandwich?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm disappointed you didn't try the Cheesus Burger. ;-)
When I first heard about this crazy burger I couldn't believe it.
I'll be in PDX in November, but I think it might be wise to avoid that burger.

John Book said...

I wanted to try it, and I'm a huge fan of hamburgers anyway. But there will be a next time.

If you go for the burger, and you're with someone, split it.