Sunday, August 8, 2010

Lunch @ Big Jim's Drive-In, The Dalles, Oregon

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Big Jim's Drive In
2938 E. 2nd St. (Exit 87, Off I-84)
The Dalles, OR 97058
August 7, 2010
(541) 298-5051

In my years living in the Pacific Northwest, The Dalles has been a town in Oregon that I've never made a conscious decision to visit. It had either been the town to stop at either going to or coming back from Portland, as it had a McDonald's, gas stations, a Fred Meyer, and that's it. My sister wanted to get a laptop computer for her son's 13th birthday, and in Oregon you don't have to pay sales tax. Unfortunately, the computer my nephew wanted was available at only one store in Oregon, and the closest one was about 120 miles away. The sale was to end on Saturday. Of course none of this matters, but I wanted to look at what kind of restaurants were in town other than the usual fast food. I spotted a place called Lilo's Hawaiian. Being Hawaiian and also noticing a lot of positive reviews, this was the place I wanted to go. My sister spotted a place called Big Jim's Drive-In, and I hadn't heard of it. It was in a part of The Dalles that I've never been in, so we decided to go there.

I knew ahead of time that it was a burger and fries place. It was easy to find, as signs on Highway I-84 indicate that there's a food choice off of Exit 87. The selection of burgers on the menu looked good, with such things as the Rodeo Burger (1/4 pound beef patty, grilled onion, jalapenos and nacho cheese, dressing, lettuce and tomato) and the behemoth known as the T-Rex Burger (1 pound beef petty, 4 slices of ham, 2 slices of Swiss cheese, 2 slices of cheddar, dressing, lettuce, and tomato on a 6 inch bun). I wanted to try something basic so I chose the Jim Dandy Burger, a simple bacon cheeseburger with lettuce and tomato, which went for $5 for the sandwich alone or $8.40 for a combo that came with a soda and fries. That is indeed pricey for a combo, but if it was good, it would be good and I'd be up to come back and try it again.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Everything was cooked fine, but I did not find this burger to be drool-worthy. It was good, it was cooked well, but it tasted like any other independent burger at any other random place, nothing about it stood out. As for the French fries, it tasted as if it was beer battered, the menu doesn't indicate this and I didn't bother asking for one simple reason: it was too salty. If the person lightened the salt overdose, it would have been great.

For those reasons alone, it was a turnoff. I kept on looking at other items on the menu: chili & fries, fish & chips, a cold turkey sandwich (for $5.15, $8.55 as a combo), and they kept pushing their homemade waffle cones for their ice creams. The ice cream was the Umpqua brand from Oregon, which is good. There were too boys who came in ordering a 3-scoop waffle cone and they were going at it. At least they were enjoying the flavors, but as for me, not so much.

If I were to go to this place again, I'd try a burger that I think would be more tasty, maybe a "Deep Fried Chicken Burger". I'd also tell them to not put a lot of salt.

Other than that, the drive-in was tidy and clean, in a nice area of The Dalles that is quiet and humble, the highway is easy to get to and visible outside of their windows, so it's not in a place too obscure.

(You can read the full menu here)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments: