Monday, June 15, 2009

Snack Food: Mariani's Kangaroo Jerky (Australia)

My sister recently came back from Australia and she knows that I like to try unknown brands and/or varieties of snacks I may know of. She also knows I'll try something new. So here she is with the snack she bought for me and it was... Kangaroo jerky.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

It's made by a company called Mariani, who distribute throughout Australia, New Zealand, and Japan. They plan on hitting the U.S. market soon. So here I am with a package featuring an illustration of kangaroos in a mid jump. Here I am with their flesh in a bag, nicely seasoned. The back lists the scientific name as "Macropus Rufus".

It also says this: "The meat contained herein is for personal use only and not for sale. It is derived from animals that received postmodern veterinary inspection and were found sound and healthy in every way. The slaughter and preparation of the meat described herein has been carried out in a sanitary manner in accordance with Expert Control Act. 1982, which is administered by the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry"

So how does it taste? Well, it has the flavorings of a typical jerky, but beef this isn't. What got to me was the texture. Beef jerky is generally rugged, you tear that thing with your teeth and you'll need to floss. Kangaroo however is very smooth, and that caught me off guard. I am sure the soy sauce powder, garlic, mineral salt, and everything else helped disguise the actual kangaroo flavor but someone somewhere eats the meat, so obviously it's edible. A blog called Random Foodnotes said The texture and taste are reminiscent of pork jerky, although with the dominant soy sauce flavor, this could have been dehydrated dirt and it would probably taste the same. I don't think I'll be eating kangaroo jerky again anytime soon.


The same company also makes emu jerky and crocodile jerky, I don't know if Steve Irwin would have approved of this, but maybe daughter Bindy will give this company a couple of smacks.

No comments: