Sunday, May 17, 2009

Snack Food: Beer Chips



I heard about Beer Chips a year or two ago, not sure if it was profiled on television or if I read it in an article in a magazine or blog. I was in Vancouver, Washington this weekend and I found it in, of all places, Whole Foods. It's odd because it's not exactly a healthy snack, and one doesn't think of Whole Foods when it comes to beer or chips. The company originates in Portland, Oregon, the city across the river, so I had to try it.

In typical potato chip fashion, there was much more air than chips. I tried it a day after I bought it and three things came to mind as I tried it:

1) it's very greasy
2) it's malty
3) it reminds me of Maui style potato chips, flavor wise

It did catch me by surprise, but it was a nice chip. Not hearty, but nice. It's definitely a chip I would eat on a side with a bigger meal, not that I'd ever eat chips as a main dish but it's also not a chip I would buy again for myself if there were other choices. However, it is a chip I would buy for a party so that others could try it.

Beer Chips also make a Margarita Shots variety (which was at Whole Foods), and their website also shows a Spicy Bloody Mary flavor.

No comments: